How to Monitor and Mitigate Insider Threats
The safety and security of an organization’s internal network is as important as safeguarding the external from attacks. Employees, contractors and suppliers have access to sensitive data, IP, customer data and more. Organizations need to secure the data from malicious intent, but also compromised users and simply negligence. Insider threats are one of the most difficult to detect and prevent. There are a number of challenges to effectively monitoring for insider threats without hampering employee productivity.
- Difficulty identifying abnormal activity and resource usage.
- Detection is slower than it needs to be.
- Lack of context to ascertain intent.
- Growth of remote employees with open perimeter devices.
- Employee improper handling and safeguarding of PII data.
The rise in insider threats has increased focus on the need to address these challenges with more dynamic insider threat monitoring processes.